Monday, December 29, 2008

Livin' the Dream

I haven't been writing much because in reality not much has been going on. Since we last spoke, I found a job working at the Woodward Cage at Copper Mountain. Copper is literally the next exit over from Frisco, so it's extremely convenient, and they have a great little village so there's tons of stuff to do when I'm on break or before or after work.

I'm just a register jockey, and as of now the job has been mostly totally boring. It's incredible how easy it is to do this job, I pretty much just sit around all day and talk to the occasional customer. It's fun, I get to play whatever music I want in the store (as long as my coworkers agree, which they generally do) and it's a relaxed atmosphere. A welcome break from my 9-5 office job, although that was a fairly relaxed place too as far as it goes.

Included in my pay I also get a free ski pass which is good for Copper, Winter Park, Steamboat Springs, Loveland, and possibly a few others. I hope to hit them all throughout the season, and I'm sure I'll thoroughly inspect Copper as it's sort of my home base mountain. I'm really excited to get skiing, but since I just got my pass last Tuesday and I've worked almost every day since, I haven't had a chance yet. I'm pretty sure I'll get a chance to go tomorrow though, while Lisa is taking her first ski lesson! I think she's really excited about it, and I'm excited for her to learn! We went and bought her the necessary gear (she'll still be renting skis and boots...) so she's all ready for her lesson tomorrow!

We've been trying to check out the local night life a bit, but neither of us is really a party person so it's usually just a few beers here or there. The Brewery in Frisco is really cool, and has great food. The Moose Jaw is a fun local bar with awesome burgers and cheap PBR. In nearby Breckenridge we checked out the Gold Pan Saloon, which was pretty cool. More cheap PBR here...is this the state beer or something? We see it everywhere, which is fine by me 'cause I love it!

Christmas was fairly uneventful for us. We came down to Copper on Christmas Eve; they had fireworks, a torch parade down the mountain, and we grabbed dinner. We didn't do gifts for each other because we're both a little tight on money, but on the 26th a big package from my parents arrived. The postal service couldn't quite make it on time, but no big deal. It was really sweet and it really made our Christmas. I had to work on Christmas day so that definitely didn't help, but overall I think it went pretty well. The picture below was our Christmas tree, which we think looks a little Dr. Suess-esque due to its slight tilt and blue and red ornaments.

Overall things have been really great. I'm getting into the swing of things at work, Lisa is still on the hunt and finding things, and we're both going to start skiing tomorrow! Also to look forward to, my parents are coming out to visit from the 30th to the 2nd. That should be great, and if he's feeling well they're going to bring Rigby the kitty out with them!

No comments: